Monday, October 17, 2011

Hello again. Here are some sketches

Spent a good amount of time on the north shore over the weekend and did some sketches at the beach.


Two above done on October 15. I bought the Bill Sienkiewicz Sketchbook that night and was really impressed by the economy of linework in his ink sketches. He is able to express a lot of his forms using lots of negative space and each of his pen strokes defines a shape, nothing is wasted. Sienkiewicz has a great feel for contour and gesture. He says of sketching: "I often sketch in pen. It forces me to be exact, and if I fuck the sketch up, it screams at me. Not the pen, the sketch. The pen just laughs."


Rocks and island sketched on October 16, trying to be conscious of the use of pen strokes, and making better decisions of separating light from dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment